My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Fieldwork

In Anthropology, we learnt about fieldwork: going to a different society, living there physically for a certain period of time, participating fully in their activities to learn about them. This is the main work of social anthropologists. My lecturer has actually gone on fieldwork before. Reflecting on it, SEP seems like a mini fieldwork. Coming to UBC, I'm learning so much about the Canadian culture, much more than what I could have learned by reading. Even the feelings experienced are the same. Excitement, loneliness, curiousity etc. I'm so glad I came on this SEP.

A phrase I think I'll never forget:

Making the strange familiar, and the familiar strange.

really summaries what happens when people start living in another society. My anthropology lecturer used it to summarise what social anthropologists do. I wonder who came up with the phrase, but it really sums it up well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home