My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

Friday, September 23, 2005

Some thoughts on coming alone

I'm starting to like anthropology classes. It really gets me thinking a lot, especially in my current situation.

We were studying about fieldwork today. One of the issues we discussed about was going into fieldwork alone. Malinowski, the most famous pioneer of fieldwork methods, proposed that one should go on fieldwork alone. Only when one is alone, can he infuse into the society and participate more fully in their activities. Only when one is alone, can he be away from the comfort of the company of his companions, and be able to observe and study the subject society.

Sometimes I felt a bit lonely coming here alone, not knowing anyone, not having a group of friends to always go out with. Yet, reflecting back, it's because I came here alone, I am able to mix around with people from other nations, observe how people of other culture behave etc instead of just mixing around with my own group of friends. It's because I'm here alone, I was able to do more reflecting, take more photos, mix around with more people. So perhaps it was good that I came alone.

It is not to say that I don't feel lonely, of course. When I see the beautiful gifts of nature, interesting events, unbelievable sights, I'm always wishing my dear was beside me, sharing with me these moments. I wish to share the happiness with her. Although away from her, I get more time to do things of my own, I miss her lots and wish she was here to share with me all the experience. I guess my world really can never be my own again. She's been part of my life, is part of my life now, and will always be.

Oh well. 91 more days before I get to see her!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home